Friday, July 17, 2015

Listening -- Diane Mettam



I come from a long line of busy women.  I have been brainwashed from an early age to believe that if I am not constantly moving, then I am lazy.  I have always volunteered for every project that caught my fancy, not because I felt I had to, but because I loved it.  So you can imagine how it feels to be set aside.

I am in my ninth year of Medical Leave.  At first we all anticipated I would be off for six to eighteen months. But it didnt work out that way.  Complications arose, courses of medication took longer than anticipated, and side effects led to organ damage.  Ive long since concluded that I probably wont return to parish ministry before retirement age.  And that is difficult. 

So is fatigue, and pain.  Now I dont mean this to be a whiny or why me column, and I dont think Im trying to justify why Im not as busy as I still think I should be.  I guess Im trying to explain how hard it is not to be able to do as much as I want to do.  But Im figuring out theres a place for this. 

Because I am forced to be less active, I have learned to be a better listener.  When people ask if I have a minute, I can honestly answer I have an hour.  Because I have had to rest my eyes, I have knit two charity sweaters - I dont have to look closely at what Im doing when Im knitting, and I find the action soothing.  And, I can pray for the eventual recipient of the sweater.  An added bonus is that the woman who gave me the pattern was a beloved member of the church here in Eureka who recently returned home to God, and I think of her as I knit, and I smile. 

I have had time to enjoy the wildlife feeder in my back yard, and to watch the juvenile squirrels as they leap back and forth across the feeder trays and squabble with each other.  Theres a rat living under our deck, and as we try to find a humane way to convince him (or her) to move elsewhere, its fascinating to see how it can slip into an impossibly small drainage hole in our deck. 

A bird eats at a bird feeder -- it's in Michigan


Although we are in a drought, we still have the morning fog which sustains our redwoods and most of our native plants, and it is so peaceful to sit and admire them.  I am grateful for this time to appreciate Gods handiwork.  I confess that if I were on a normal schedule, I would be too busy to notice these things, and far too busy to take up my knitting needles. 

I keep the Lord always before me;
    because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.
Therefore my heart is glad, and my soul rejoices;
    my body also rests secure.  Psalm 16:8-10

Prayer concerns:
           A new ministry launch in Cross, NC a woman who has a disability herself, and three children with disabilities, has been invited by her pastor to start a disability ministry.
           All the Mission U disability courses that will be taught this coming weekend and for the rest of the summer for the leaders and participants, for open hearts and transformational learning.
           A new Respite program for adults with dementia that is trying to get off the ground and bring in more participants at a UM church in Fayetteville, Georgia
           Final preparations and safe travel to Dallas for the upcoming annual meetings for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Ministries Committee (July 23-26) and the DisAbility Ministries Committee (July 30 August 2) 

Dear Lord, What amazing ministries are springing up around the country!  We are so grateful that hearts and minds are opening to your love, and all your children are finding places in your kingdom.  Help us to learn to discern your calls to busyness and to rest, to learn to see and appreciate all the beauty that surrounds us, and to find joy in whatever the work is that you place before us.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment